Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lets talk cameras & editing software shall we.



Ok I've worked on 16 to 35mm to the RED camera and all cameras really have something in common. Its not the camera in the end its the person behind it. I've sen some really poorly shot films done with the RED camera as well as the Canon EOS C300. I personally would never join up on the whole DSLR craze as those cameras look and truly are made for photography not film. But in the end again its preference and ones choice on what he or she is comfortable using. I use the SONY NEX VG-10 and absolutely love it. It picks up the colours in an amazing fashion. My only complaint is SONY opted to bring out the SONY NEX VG-20 a few months later and the added the 24p feature on it and the VG-10 doesn't have that. Shoots at 30p at 1080p full HD plus 1920p.  So that was a huge complaint I had against SONY for short changing the consumer on that one. Its VERY easy to cut it down to 24p in post.   Now lets talk price here. Like discussed in my last blog us indie guys cant afford the RED epic(Even to rent it usually cost $4,000 a day) at the hefty price tag of $35,000 and that's just for the body. You see when the creators of the RED epic created this camera they didn't have the indie filmmakers in mind. They had their sights sets on the studios because all they see is dollar signs as well.  I'd like to see a big pro end model camera like the RED that is made for all to enjoy. 

Now onto editing software. I purchased FCP X a few months back as did a friend. I've worked off them all. From Adobe to Avid etc Even FCP 7 was in there. But I'm telling you that FCP X is NOTHING like iMovie. The whole interface is completely different and its a great piece of software. If you want complicated software then go with Adobe CS5. I'll gladly stick with my FCP X with a great price tag of $300. Compared to Adobe's CS5 over $1,000 price tag. Its very hard to make a film and you just want something simple in post that can handle your project. FCP X does that if you know how to use it and give it a chance. I'm fully standing behind FCP X. 

I've been asked how do you make a truly great horror film(By people wanting to make films). Well number 1 you need a great script. Its tough to scare people now a days but horror films are still one of the most popular genres out there. Plus the most fun to do.  But like any genre of film its not easy. I've had people try and crush my dreams in the past who I tend not to listen to because they are a waste of time and space. Believing that its not work. Well I've worked plenty of 9-5 jobs and labour work and trust me its a lot harder then that. Some films I was on set for 24hrs for. But why would I do that or anybody else in the biz? Because they have a love and passion for it. But first write a script. Make it interesting. Know who your target audience is. NEVER focus on the ones that won't support your work.  Because no matter what you do they will NEVER support you. Which brings me to things that have recently been happening right here in Canada. Some screenings being pulled because some people complained about a certain film content, name or a poster. These people don't matter. But some theatre owners side with them and end up pulling some films with out them getting a chance to show their stuff.  Its very hard in the indie film world and then it becomes even harder when things like this happen. So watch the venues you choose. Think smart and don't just dive into the water head first. You don't want somebody to hurt your film. In the end don't let anybody stop you from being you. Thats where your target audience comes into play.  Because always remember not everybody is going to like your work. So focus on the ones that will and do.


No comments:

Post a Comment